Hang on, let me make sure I understand this. The Governor wants the professional drivers, who are trained and equipped to run in foul weather, to avoid the area. He wants the people who are bringing the city much-needed bread and milk (because we all know you can’t survive an ice storm without copious amounts of bread and milk) to avoid the area. He would prefer the grocery shelves empty, fuel islands dry and pharmacies without medication to having big trucks on the 285 loop, getting in the way of all the abandoned cars.
Who is this genius, and what in the world makes him believe we don’t avoid Atlanta as much as possible already? How many truckers are within 100 miles of Atlanta and say to themselves, “Hey, why don’t I just mosey on over to Atlanta, so I can risk my life on 285, just for fun? While I’m at it, I’ll schedule a colonoscopy and prostate exam for the same day, because I can’t get enough of the grins and giggles associated with 40 lanes of traffic, all doing 900 miles an hour, while everyone plays Angry Birds on their cell phones.”
Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves yet another politician who is completely out of touch with reality and everything associated with it. How stupid is it to ask the professional drivers to avoid the area while allowing the dorks in four-wheelers to maraud around the city, sliding this way and that, because they simply must get to Dave and Busters for a sandwich and some skeeball? Really, guy?
Here’s a novel idea: shut it down for all non-essential traffic. Allow the professionals, who have reason to be in Atlanta, to use the 75 thru and give them the benefit of not having a blue million abandoned cars to play Frogger with while wrestling 40,000 pounds of essential goods the city needs. I’m pretty sure 90 percent of the truck drivers who are routed through Atlanta this week have already re-routed. The other 10 percent are the ones out here who make everyone look bad, and probably the reason the Governor asked the trucks to stay away in the first place.
I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and consider that maybe he just wasn’t thinking when he asked the trucks to stay away, but when I do that I start to wonder how someone can run something like an entire state without thinking. Then I remember he’s a politician and it all makes sense, because most of them have none.